I’ve been in a bit of a writer’s funk. I haven’t published much beside my 7 Quick Takes lately. I’ve got several drafts but either haven’t/can’t finish them or I’m not sure if they’re what I want to say. But I had an idea. Why don’t I share with all of you the list of things I plan to do before I leave for my sophomore year of college?
I love lists. I make them all the time when life gets even a little busy. They help. A lot. My main lists right now are the list of things I have to do before I leave for my sophomore year of college and a list of things to buy before then. This isn’t a “this is what you need for going back to college” post because when it comes to that everyone is different and this is just my specific situation. This is more of “this is what I need for going back to school/this is my life right now” post.
You see I’ve only got a few days left before I hop on a plane to Colorado. I’ll spend the afternoon with my roommate and the night at her house with her family. The next morning we’ll drive to eastern Kansas to the ranch where we will be having a retreat with the other members of campus ministry for a couple days. Then we go back to campus and move into our dorm. The following Monday we start a week of training. Finally, on the 28th classes start. But before all that, I have some stuff to do.
So…here is my list of things I need to do before I head back to school, (which is soon, like five days away soon).
- go shopping (I’ll talk more about this below)
- get my haircut (dang, that’s right. When am I going to do that?)
- order my books for school
- order spiritual direction book (that would be this one, which a friend of mine reviewed here)
- pack–with my backpack packed for the retreat
- copy my birth certificate (I was told to bring this for a potential job on campus this semester)
- use the “Draw Today” drawing kit to make some charcoal copies of religious artwork
- get a thermometer (I’ll do this when I go shopping) (And yes, this would be a BBT thermometer for charting)
- read: St. Kateri book, the Harry Potter book a friend lent me, Rediscovering Catholicism (don’t count on any of those)
- Set up my phone to receive emails form my school email and so that I can update my Facebook status
- make a playlist to use as I travel 9 hours with my roomie to Kansas
- write the petitions for the family send-off Masses that will happen on campus (part of my ministry position)
In addition I have to help my brother with his summer reading essays he has to do for school, and, if I have time I should working on editing/proofreading my uncle book manuscript though I probably won’t finish it before I go. I also need to do laundry.
Now, here’s some of the things on my Walmart list. (I’m waiting until I get to Kansas to buy notebooks and pencils and all that.)
- watch battery for my watch
- white tank or cami
- 2-in-1 shampoo
- thermometer (see above)
- travel toothpaste
So there you have it, just a little peek into my life right now and the way my mind works.